JUST SAY NO
Why are we so busy? I’m convinced it’s because we subconsciously want to be (and then want to complain about it too). We see 'busy' as a sign of importance. The busier we are, the more important we feel. Being busy does not mean we are necessarily being productive, it may mean that we just don’t know how to say no.
Let’s face it, saying no is hard. You’re being pulled in 10 different directions at all times and you just cant muster up the courage to say no to anyone. But it’s time to ask:
Does this event/activity add value to your life?
Do you WANT to do it?
…Or are you just saying yes because you feel obligated or trapped?
In the past, I’ve felt overwhelmed with my busy schedule. I felt like every invitation was an obligation. If I said no they’d be devastated, I’d be a horrible friend, and their entire life would be ruined. Have you ever said yes to something just because you felt this way too?! It's pretty narcissistic of us all to think that people and events will be ruined if we aren’t in attendance.
The truth is…you control your time, and only you can purposefully decide what needs to be in your schedule, and what you should pass on.
Since saying no can be difficult, here are some suggestions on how to make saying no a little bit easier.
- Blame it on the budget: “Unfortunately, that doesn’t fit into my budget this month, but I appreciate the invitation!”
- Blame it on your schedule: “That sounds like something I would love, but I’m already so overcommitted! Thank you for thinking of me though!”
- Blame it on priorities: “That seems like a very interesting project, but I really don’t have the bandwidth to take anything else on this quarter. I like to make sure I can give my best to everything. Keep me updated on the progress!”
- Blame it on family: “Oh, we’d really enjoy that event, but that is our family night, and we never skip that!”
- Blame it on exhaustion: “Thank you for thinking of me, but I am going to keep that night open. I am usually exhausted on (insert night of the week) and need to just relax and recharge.”
Because our time is finite, every time you say yes to something, you’re saying no to something else. Saying yes to your friend's daughter's dance recital might mean saying no to family movie night. It’s time to be intentional and make sure we’re using our time with the right people in the right ways. Get your life back and be empowered to SAY NO, when you need to SAY YES to something else!
Not only do you have the right to say no, you have the responsibility!